By Kevin Ostrander
I wanted to give you all a heads-up on a really fun online competition that’s now open for registration. It’s called The CrossFit Team Series. Last year, we had one team from LGCF put their toes in the water and do this competition. The unanimous consensus from Lisa, Katy, Jeremy and Rick was that doing the Team Series was a ton of fun!
It’s a lot like the Open, where workouts are posted and you have a certain time frame to do them, but this time the competition is a team one, with two men and two women. Also like the Open, the workouts are very approachable and will challenge you regardless of your fitness level. There are Rx’d and Scaled workout options. However, if you do one workout Scaled, it doesn’t mean you have to do all of them Scaled (you can mix and match). There’s really no downside and this will satisfy you no matter what your fitness-related goals are. If you’re just doing this for fun, this is going to be right up your alley. If you want to see how you stack up against the hard-chargers out there, this is going to be a great test, too.
The Team Series takes place over two weeklong periods, which gives you plenty of flexibility for you to get your workouts done. The workout completion window runs on a Tue-Mon time frame. The first set of workouts (we don’t yet know how many will be released) is released on Tuesday September 8th and must be completed no later than Monday September 14th. The second set of workouts is released on Tuesday October 6th and must be completed no later than Monday October 12th.
You can do the workouts at any time and you can do them as many times as you want.
I’m already registered on a team that’s doing this just for fun (aptly named LGCF Team Swole Train). Lisa and Katy have returned to do it again this year with Keenan stepping in for Rick’s absence and I am going to try to fill Jeremy’s shoes. It would be great if we could have some company! If we get enough teams, we could even do some fun weekend get-togethers and run each other through the workouts.
- In 2015, teams will be able to choose between the Rx’d and scaled version of each workout. Choosing scaled for one workout will not prevent a team from doing the next workout as prescribed.
- The two-part series starts in early September, and ends in mid October. The first set of workouts will be released Sept. 8, and the second and final set of workouts will be released Oct. 6.
- Teenagers (14-17) and Masters (40+) will be included as well.
- Registration begins on Aug. 18 at Games.CrossFit.com. Send your team captain to the site to register the team. As part of the process, the captain will pay and send email invites to their teammates.
- Registration costs $80 for all teams except those that are sponsored. Sponsored teams pay $500.
- To Do List
- Find three teammates.
- Between Aug. 18 and Sept. 8 to register your team here: Register for CrossFit Team Series
- Make sure all teammates accept your email invites.